Monday, June 28, 2010

FO : Baby stroller blanket

Yes I finally finish THE blanket for my daughter and I am very proud of it ! So I also decided to publish my pattern, not that it's so complicated but it may be useful for any knitter that what it and likes my work on this one. So here are the instructions for my first free pattern ever !!



Pattern : Stroller baby blanket by Sophie Bergeron

Needle : 3.5mm

Yarn : Bernat Baby Sport in white and popsicle blue about 150 gr of each color (478 yard of each color)

Pattern :



The blanket has been created to be perfect size for a stroller, a car seat or also to carry around in little hands. I choose acrylic yarn to be easy on care and mom budget too ! Contrast colors are also great for our kids eyes and are easy for them to focus on. Also with two different texture it will be a great exploration for the little hands as well.

The little story behind this blanket is that the day that my love, Nicolas, and I found out that we were having a little girl at the ultrasound, we bought the stroller in a turquoise color that we both love and then my boyfriend came back from the end of the row at Walmart with two huge balls of Bernat Sport Baby and his best smile asking if I can do something for our daughter to go in the stroller. So I cast on for a blanket without any other though and I finally made something from my mind completely.



Finished size is : 24 inches 1/2 by 24 inches 1/2

Squares instructions :

Using 3.5mm needles, CO 72 sts
Row 1 : k 36, place marker, k36
Row 2 : k 2 sts before marker, ssk, k2tog, k til the end of the row (70 sts)
Row 3 : k all sts
Repeat row 2 and 3, 2 more time (66 sts)

Attach contrast color

Stockinette section
Row 1 : p until 2 sts before marker p2tof, p2tog, p til the end of the row (64 sts)
Row 2 : k all sts
Repeat row 1 and 2, 3 times (58 sts)

Continue with main color

Garter section
Row 1 : k 2 sts before marker, ssk, k2tog, k til the end of the row (56 sts)
Row 2 : k all sts
Repeat row 1 and 2, 3 times (50 sts)

Repeat stockinette and garter section one after the other alternately until there are 10 sts left on needles. Using main color.
Row 1 : k3, ssk, k2tog, k3 (8 sts)
Row 2 : k
Row 3 : k2, ssk, k2tog, k2 (6 sts)
Row 4 : k
Row 5 : k1, ssk, k2tog, k1 (4 sts)
Row 6 : k
Row 7: ssk, k2tog (2 sts)
Row 8 : k2tog

Leave a long tail to sew squares together later on.



Using any color contrast you like, make 16 squares and sew them together. I begun with 4 bigger squares together and then I assemble the 4 big squares together and weave all ends in too.



You can add a liner to hide the wrong side, personally I will buy white polar fleece to add some comfort to the blanket and made it easy for me to wash it as often as needed... :)

Let me know if you do this little blanket for your own little kids !!!



Only thing left for me now...have my own bundle of joy and be super hot with my matching blanket and stroller ! Hip mama, watch out I'm coming !

10 comments:

Maryse said...

Congratulations on your first pattern! This is a beautiful blanket!

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Great job Sophie! It looks great! Congrats on your first pattern for your first born!

Julie said...

It's such a gorgeous little baby blanket!! And looks fantastic with your stroller.

Jacey said...

It's adorable! I love the colors. Way to go!

Emily said...

Great blanket! It's beautiful! And the story behind it is cute. :D
What a lucky baby!

Anonymous said...

I love this pattern ,i may do my next grandchild one of these when i have finished doing the one im on now.
my next grandchild this dew in december 2010 , and congratulations on your first pattern and you new born to

siryoz0 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
best baby strollers said...

Very comfortable I guess.,my son will surely be sleeping tight there. I love your blanket it is adorable preparing for your best baby strollers is a serious business it requires knowledge and passion.Thanks for this wonderful thought keep it up.

Unknown said...

Hi Sophie - I see you haven't posted in a long time but I hope you still get this! I'm trying out your pattern for a gift for my friend's baby shower. I was hoping to get some tips.

Firstly, I'm still deciding how to sew the small squares into the large quarters. I've watched a lot of youtube videos on stitches and I'm having trouble deciding which will work best considering the two different types of knitting on the edges.

Also, my squares tend come out a bit pointy toward the end, so they aren't coming out perfectly square. Any tips on how to avoid this? I'm going to do some blocking once they're all done but since you didn't mention doing so in your pattern I'm wondering if that's a problem with my knitting or with making squares in general.

I'd really appreciate some help. I've got four squares done and would like to get sewing them asap so I don't have to do ALL the sewing at the end. Thanks in advance!

CLC Houston said...

Does the backside of this blanket have an unfinished look? Thanks as I want to make a light blanket and do not want to line it. Thanks for the beautiful pattern.