Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tuesday's travelling

You all know my great interest in travelling all around the world and since I am looking to do 2 trips 'til the end of the year I thought about making a weekly chronicle about cities in the world that I would like to see one day or another...

Today to inaugurate the whole thing I will talk to you about Colmar, France which I will visit in December. If you follow the "Tour de France" they just went through the city a few days ago and it's a beautiful city.
Colmar by night
Colmar is in the Haut-Rhin department in Alsace (northeastern France). It is situated along the Alsatian Wine Route and considers itself to be the "Capital of Alsatian Wine"
Along the Alsatian Wine Route...
Colmar have a great history as in Alsace they are right next to Germany and Sweden. It was firth founded in the 9th century. It was granted the status of free imperial city of the Holy Roman empire in 1226. Then during the "Thirty Years'War", in 1632 the city was taken by Sewden armies and they helds the city for 2 years. In 1697, under LouisXIV the city was then conquered by France. In 1871 another annexion, after the Franco-Prussian War, Alsace is now part of the newly form German Empire. And finally it's returned to France after World War I in 1945.
Little Venice
Colmar is 64 kilometer from Strasbourg (which I will talk about in another chronicle) and directly to the east of the Vosge moutain. The secret of region for wine it's the perfect climate they have...about 550mm of annual precipitation, the driest city in France.
I will keep some interest point to talk about when I will be back from the city myself... ;)




View Larger Map

No comments: