Saturday, May 1, 2010

FO : Birds in hand



New FO to add in 2010...cast on April 17th and cast off May 1st : a pair of mitten ! Yes you read well, I did a pair of mitten at springtime, why ? Just because I wanted something to play with colors and also because I really wanted to try that pattern for a really long time.



Here are the spec :

Pattern : Bird in hand by Kate Gilbert
Needle : 3.5mm
Yarn : 0.25 skein of white Palette by Knit Picks and 0.75 skein of red Palette by Knit Picks



I am proud to knit those, colorwork is not really my thing usually... I did great when we think that I did not did any since the Endpaper mitts a few years ago. So not so bad and I'm pleased with the results. I need to improve my floating system and learn to keep more length for the contrast color in small section like the thumb. I had to cut some to leave me more space and I block the cut ends. Not the best solution but I will learn as I do more projects of the same type.



I also found that it's a quick project and fun to see it grow before my eyes. It was also fun to see my coworkers eyes growing too when I work on this project... They are used to see my knit before my work at my desk since I'm pregnant and they know what I knit. I got many many comments about those puppies.


I have to admit that the pattern is almost perfect but I have no idea how you can knit this type of pattern with a worsted weight and not ending with giant mittens... ok mine are on the thin side but I made them to walk outside in Spring and Fall time (I'm thinking about stroller ride already with my daughter!). I also needed to had 2 stitches on the inside of the thumb to have more ease and 2 more rows of plain red before diminutions for the same reason. I have pretty long fingers so it's not unusual.



Let just end saying, I love my new mittens and I hope to use them only in about 5 or 6 months...

2 comments:

Maryse said...

Your mittens are beautiful! I look forward to knitting mine! The pictures are a little strange though: camisole, green grass and red mittens ;-))) Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Julie said...

So pretty!! they look lovely in the red and white.