Tuesday, November 25, 2008

FO : Amidon mitten


Yes I finally kick myself over my procrastination on that project and I finish the cuff of the Amidon mittens I was test knitting for Becky Herrick on Ravelry. It was a very fun knit and so easy to try your hands on felting.

Spec :

Pattern : Amidon mittens by Becky Herrick
Yarn : Knit Picks Wool of the Ande in color wine, 2 skeins
Knit Picks Merino Style in color coal, 2 skeins
Needle : DPN 8mm and DPN 5mm

Mod : I made the the cuff with yarn holds only double for the Merino style and simple for WOTA instead of the double as the pattern called for, because I felt I was going to be too big and I wanted to be easy to hide the cuff inside of sleeve in a winter coat. And I reverse color for the cuff too because I was running out of red and I prefer coal anyway !

I wish had made the thumbs smaller, they look ginormous on my hand and I am unhappy with this part. If I do this pattern again, I will cast on only 12 of 14 sts instead of 16 and I'll made it shorter too, but overall the pattern is really good and if you want to try on colorwork/felting for the first time, this is the pattern you need !

About the yarn : it felt very well but be aware that KP WOTA bleed a LOT when you wash it for the first time, my kitchen sink was all red after the first soak in hot water !

My lazy method of felting in front load machine washing...

I begun with a try on hand felting and after 10 minutes I was unable to continue, it's really really hard to do ! So I decide to trow them in my washing machine at the hottest cycle for an hour and then I check after an hour to mesure and I was still too big, I continue the cycle for another 45 minutes, check again with mesurements and it was just perfect !

Hopes this help because I had question by Ravelry about that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh so snuggly! love 'em!

Montreal Mama said...

They look so cozy!

great job!